O, Holy Night by The Branches

 Branches - Position Music

    Of course everyone knows the Josh Groban version of this classic, and while he's a very talented and good looking lad, I prefer this rendition by Oklahoma City band, The Branches. If ever there was a group of white people to wear broad rim fedoras, un-ironic waxed mustaches, and suit-wool vests, it's them. They are my people.
    And this arrangement leaves me with goosebumps each time I hear it. It's just the front couple, Haley and Peter Collins, and a guitar. But what an incredible sound they pack in! The intro conjures up the sense of a dark wintery night when every other living thing has had the good sense to find some shelter and there's no movement, or hope; and then this build up of wonder and happiness bursting like a sun rising over an icy field.
Yes, I put this on repeat in the car and belt along on my way to the grocery.

Comments

Popular Posts