Christmas Isn't Christmas Without... a Hot Beverage


Today the high is 26F, with a severe wind chill. Most people would shudder at the thought, but, for me, conditions are perfect for something warm, spicy, and perhaps slightly alcoholic. Among my favourites are hot toddies, warmed apple cider with spices, hot chocolate sometimes with a peppermint stick, tea with a decent spoonful of sugar and a splash of milk, and coffee with some milk (that one's not seasonal).
But the most luxurious, rich, and celebratory hot tipple is Mulled Wine. Precious spices mixed with precious red wine and simmered on the stove under a watchful eye combine to make something that warms my bones. While apple cider can be bunged in the microwave for 90 seconds, and hot chocolate can come from a sachet of powder and hot water, there is no cheat with mulled wine; effort must be made.
My first true encounter with it was in Tallin, Estonia. I was spending a college semester in St. Petersburg, Russia and my older sister Kirsty suggested meeting in Tallin when she came for a visit. Because I don't want to spoil it for other intrepid travelers I will only say that Tallin is not very blah, and the Christmas Market really is something nothing special. 

'Twas a bit early in the morning, and bitterly cold, so a few mulled wine stands had been erected amongst the wooly hats and other hand-crafts, or as they call it "glögi"
Kirsty knew this was just what we needed, "and," she said while handing over a few coins to the ladle-wielder, "all the alcohol is boiled off, so you can't get drunk!"


That may be how she made mulled wine, and I admit that this struck me as... not quite right. But she is my older sister and usually right, so we chugged along enjoying the spciy sweeteness and especially the warmth. And that's how I found myself somewhat drunk in the middle of old Tallin's Christmas Market, watching a traditional dance being performed by young girls in what looked like their cotton petticoats.
It's true that one can boil off the alcohol in mulled wine, but that's why you have some brandy on hand to refortify. Below is a graphic of a few takes on the beverage. Last year I used Jamie Oliver's method and I think it's my favorite and most sensible.
Imbibe with caution, never drink and drive, and for goodness sakes, don't boil off the alcohol!




Comments

  1. For my festive hot chocolate I like to add a splosh of creme de menthe. Accordingly I tried to find it but no luck in Banff Tesco or Coopie. I’ll try the Broch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts