These Are a Few of My Favourite Things 10/21/22

 1) Bedtime.

Stay with me on this one, as it's more of an experience than a thing to buy. My occasional weekend routine is to strip the sheets from the bed, wash them, and hang them on the line to dry (that's an entirely separate favourite thing). I make the bed anew, vacuum, scrub the bathroom, take a shower, get into some fresh pajamas and revel in this sensation of soft cleanliness, secure coziness, and something achieved. Some nights it's the best sleep of my week. 

For sheets I use white fitted linen sheets from Brooklinen, because I'm bougie as hell, and their luxe duvet cover in graphite. The pajamas I'm sleeping in this week are from printfresh. I will admit they're more than I'm usually pay for my sleepwear, but YOLO amirite?

For the record, I am listing links to things readers can buy, but this is 100% not about getting new stuff. I've had these sheets and duvet cover for, like, 3 years now, and, okay, the pajamas for less than a year (but I swear I haven't bought a new pair since!). If you already have a set of sheets and a pair of jammies that make you feel like when you were 7 falling asleep after a jam packed day playing and then being bathed, keep 'em! Use them! Cherish them! If you're looking for some upgrades, then I feel the options listed are good investments.

2) Lululemon's Align High-Rise Shorts 8"


Again, a bit more than I usually pay for athletic wear (maybe this week's theme?) but so worth it! After many years of shoving my thighs into thick shorts that ride up my legs and thus fail at their one job (preventing chafing as I run), these shorts are nothing short (heh) of miraculous. Sometimes it feels like I'm not even wearing them. I also love the sizing options, meaning I don't have to hope that my idea and the manufacturer's idea of "large" means the same thing; I don't feel squeezed or constricted. 
I do wish I had gone with the pocket option, but that's something to note for next time.
No doubt there's a cheaper equivalent out there, but why roll the dice when I'm telling you these are the real deal???

3) LeVar Burton Reads Podcast 


I am of the generation that remembers LeVar Burton coming to my home via television screen both as LeVar Burton on Reading Rainbow and as Lieutenant Commander Geordie La Forge on Star Trek: The Next Generation
Oh, yes, and before either of these he also starred as Kunta Kinte in Roots, but that's irrelevant to this topic. 
A good story is like catnip to me, it's my sweet shabu-shabu, and Reading Rainbow, as a child, introduced me to so many good stories. So it's comforting on a completely other level to have LeVar continue to read me good stories via his podcast in his insanely velvety, soothing voice. The stories are more adult with more adult language (read: swear words) and themes. He says the only thing that these stories have in common are that he loves them, but I do feel like there's the common thread of science fiction running through them. On long car rides Dan will turn to me and ask me to put on a story, and I know this podcast won't disappoint.

4) Tasha Suri's Burning Kingdom's Trilogy


Speaking of good stories, I am now on book two of Tasha Suri's Burning Kingdom Trilogy, The Oleander Sword, and itching with impatience for the 3rd book to be released. I picked up The Jasmine Throne this summer in Powell's Books in Portland, OR and had the magical and supremely satisfying experience of being complimented on my choice by the bookstore worker. 
Set in a fantastical, Indian-based world, the Burning Kingdom stories center around 2 heroines, Priya and Malini. They come from different parts of the Parijatdvipan Empire, with Malini an exiled princess of the imperial family, and Priya an acolyte of an illegal religion in a subjugated territory of the empire. But they find each other useful in their goals and visions for a better life, not just for themselves, but also their people.
Buzzfeed mentions there's "so much sapphic longing," in The Jasmine Throne, and in the Oleander Sword the longing is put into satisfying yet complicated action.

5) Patchwork Dresses


These have been popping up on my pinterest feed for a number of weeks now, and let's just say I was intrigued. However, some shallow internet digging gave me some major price tag shock; they want how much for these remnant pieces assembled into an adorable, comfortable, versatile garment??

Schitts Creek What GIF by CBC

But, you know, I feel kind of conflicted with this mindset: beyond the design of this dress, someone did cut and sew and labor to make this thing. Maybe we should rethink the value of $5.99 t-shirts?
Plus, I'm about the fall down the rabbit hole of "I can probably make this myself..."
Stay tuned for updates on that, heh.

Comments

Popular Posts