Stand Your Ground

Since the 27th of March I've been trying to write something intelligent and profound about Trayvon Martin and the Stand Your Ground laws of Florida. But every sentence I typed out I felt like I was joining the droves of talking heads that all had something to contribute to the situation and add another layer of confusion by saying "no, no, this is what we really have to talk about."
Let me just say this:
We are supposed to be a country that does not care who you are or where you came from; a nation of people who came searching for freedom and the chance to work with dignity and diligence to make something great for themselves.
Every settler that tilled this land should have some sense that you cannot do it alone. You need help and you should be willing to give it in return.
We should be a nation of great people.
I mean "great" as in fun, friendly individuals, but also people who can be the "bigger" person. You know, when someone is being whiny and frustrating and throwing a tantrum and you really want to return in kind. But a large part of you says, "hey, if one of us can act like an adult, I'll be the one to do it," and you deal with them with respect and decorum and a lack of profanity. You were the bigger person.
We should be as colossal as our Lady Liberty or Paul Bunyan. Both in our stature and in our capacity to care and help out without complaint. And we should be great people by recognising an even greater force than ourselves (please don't panic about my slight dip into spirituality, my feet are firmly planted on the ground). I say this because I constantly have to remind myself that it's not my place to judge anyone. Believe me, in my line of work it's hard.

 I often worry and that we're a selfish nation. A continent with people caring only about themselves and making sure their rights don't get trampled. We can't have effective gun laws because it would infringe on our constitutional rights; never mind that it might save lives.
We can't have universal health care because we're too frightened it would bring government into our daily lives (please think about that for a moment), never mind it would improve the quality of life for thousands, if not millions of people.
We are too concerned about what's in it for me or how will this affect me. Not thinking, "hmm, if there was a more comprehensive gun law, sure that would make it more difficult for me to collect guns, but then maybe some kid wouldn't be shot accidentally. I should go along with this."
How did we get this way?

Comments

Popular Posts